Ability Advocacy have held an annual "GET TOGETHER" for people with disability over the past 20 years. This is a fun, interactive and informative weekend. The Get Together is held at Lake Ainsworth Sports & Recreation Centre, Lennox Head. At the conference we have guest speakers come and talk about subjects of interest or about their service.
Our 2016 Get Together was a huge success. We had 110 people with disability and their carers attend for the 3 day weekend. Many participants had been to our conferences regularly, some attend every year because they have so much fun and it's a great way to keep in touch with friends made in previous years.
Every year we offer a choice of activities, information sessions and entertainment. Some examples of what we offer at the conference are:
- Water activities on Lake Ainsworth – canoeing and sailing, with one-one-one guided sail around the lake
- Information session about your rights from the Intellectual Rights Legal Centre
- Table tennis
- Byron Bay Herb Nursery provided plants and pots for participants to pot up plants and take home with them
- Craft activity
- NSW Rural Fire Service information about fire safety
- Laughter yoga, was loads of laughs
- Day trip to Knockrow Castle
- Karaoke night and disco
- Housing NSW, information session about social housing and tenancy issues.
The Sports & Recreation Centre have dormitory style accommodation, so it's shared rooms. There are some double rooms for couples and also large cabins for group bookings. The Centre is next to beautiful Lennox Head Beach, the village and shops.
All People with disability and their carers are welcome. Feel free to contact our Head Office on (02) 6628-8188 or 1800 657 961 to make an enquiry.